Menu

Zachary Houle

A Look At Music That's Different

Lefkofsky Seeks to Find Connections in Cancer Patients

Eric Lefkofsky, CEO and co-founder of Tempus, feels that several data points are the only way to successfully treat cancer. His company Tempus has the goal of creating databases about data from cancer patients. These databases, he hopes, will help to create individualized goals in the cancer treatment field.Lefkofsky explained at a recent conference that data is in no short supply. There is an overabundance of genomic and therapeutic data, but there is no current databases that combine them. Cancer patients have multiple kinds of data collected on them, but he feels like there needs to be one database that combines them. What kind of therapy worked? What outcome did this treatment have? Multiple data points are gathered during the treatment, but a database that combines the all would allow doctors to make an informed decision about cancer treatment and next steps.

He feels information should flow more freely and the doctors need to know what treatments are working and what is not. An example he gave was about the breast cancer patients who are taking herceptin. If only 40% of patients are being effectively treated, then why is the other 60% falling short? What other factors are causing their treatments to not respond? His idea behind a database connecting all of this data will help to find those answers.

This entrepreneur originally started in the business as a co-founder of Groupon. When his wife was diagnosed with cancer, he quickly changed his focus. He went with his wife to her treatments and saw how the information was exchanged between doctors. His idea is to build another layer to the existing databases. This layer will help to find a connection between patients, treatments, and results. This database will help to judge the effectiveness of any given treatment and why it worked for that patient. You can also follow him on twitter : https://twitter.com/lefkofsky

 

Leave a Reply